Papa’s Sauce And Meatballs
My brother, concocted this recipe, because the sauce always splashed all over the stove and he hated cleaning the mess. It may sound unusual to cook it all in the oven…but give it a try.
Great for pasta night, or even for meatball subs. Be sure to freeze any leftover (highly unlikely) sauce & meatballs for a quick fix snack or dinner. Let me know how you made out.
- 1 heaping tablespoon of chopped garlic (in a jar)
- 1 gallon of Pastene kitchen ready sauce
- 1 bottle of Ragu (garlic & onion)
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1 24 o.z can of chunky tomato sauce
- Seasonings – your choice
Place the above ingredients in a 12 quart pot, sprinkle seasonings over sauce and mix (salt pepper, Italian seasonings, basil, parsley and oregano) and use your own discretion on amount of seasonings you want to use.
- 3 lbs. 85% ground beef
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 1/2 lbs. Italian sausage or hot sausage, whatever you prefer (boil them for 10 min. to get the fat out)
- heaping tbs. of chopped garlic (in a jar)
- 1/2 dices onion
- 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
- add 1 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- add 3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- add 1 tsp. of each of these seasonings:
- salt, pepper, Italian seasonings, basis, parsley, and oregano
Place all of the meatball ingredients listed above, in a large bowl.
Mix until well blended, then shape into balls, I usually can get 24 large ( around 4″) meatballs out of this, more if they are made smaller.
Place the meatballs in the sauce , and put the pot in the oven and cook @ 350 degrees for 2 hours or so until the meatballs are fully cooked. Drain off the oil and stir after 1 hour.
Did you like this? Thanks for letting us know.