How nice to come home on a cold wintery day, and find the aroma of Beef Barley Soup drifting through air. A tasty blend of beef, carrots, celery, onions and potatoes, given a boost by the barley, makes a wonderful hearty comfort meal to round off the day. The Beef Barley Soup can be prepared in a slow cooker or on the stove top.
I would often make Beef Barley Soup on a snowy Saturday, while doing those chores we also seem to set aside for the weekend. Later when the children came home from playing in the snow, hungry and cold, you could sense the anticipation of the evening meal.
To me, soup just seems to go with cold and snow, like sunny days and lemonade, by themselves they’re okay, but together, it’s pure joy.
- 2 pounds stew meat (nicely marbled beef chunks)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 10 cups water
- 3 mounded tablespoons good quality beef base*
- 3 stalks celery (about 2 cups), chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large potato, peeled and shredded, about 2 cups
- 3-4 large carrots, peeled and shredded, about 2 cups
- 1 cup pearl barley*** rinsed
Find directions here.
Want more post about this topic ? Thanks for letting us know.